Saturday 19 May 2018

Chain case rust removal

If you've been paying attention, you'll remember I was going to try cleaning the 'new' chaincase with CLR to remove some of the rust. If you haven't been paying attention, here are the before shots:






It's a fairly simple process, basically scrub the part with diluted CLR and some kind of abrasive. I started with a normal household scourer but quickly changed to an industrial scotchbright pad (I think it was grey but I did use a couple of different colours/grades). I think you'll agree the results are quite surprising! 

I did take some video of the process but it seems I had some camera settings wrong and the video works fine on my computer but as soon as it gets uploaded to YouTube the audio is out of sync. I haven't been able to find a solution so for now it's just pictures




The inside of the chain case at the engine end has clearly been quite well protected by a build up of chain oil so this section will act as a colour guide if I ever decide to fully restore the bike as the paint is in by far the best condition of any part of the bike


Next on the list is a new flywheel nut......

No comments:

Post a Comment