Saturday 30 March 2019

Update

It's been a while (again) but I have been doing bits on the bike, the main one being the footpeg brackets and centre stand so for the first time since I've owned it, the bike can stand up on it's own!

A previous owner had cut one of the brackets off, and the other was badly welded on at the wrong angle. I looked at various pictures online and worked out a rough idea of where the bracket should be, although it would be a little bit trial and error.



First up, I used the grubby finger technique to get an outline of the existing bracket and used that to create a nice neat cad template. I printed that out, stuck it to some steel and cut two out.





Next they were fillet brazed in place which was a little tricky due to not having the best access but I'm pretty happy with the results. The threaded rod is to keep them in line with each other




After that I rattle canned the area having done a really poor job selecting a colour that wouldn't be noticed


Next I could test fit the footpegs (and obviously sit on it making engine noises)


Now that I had a fixed location for the pivot, I worked out the geometry for the stand in CAD. I needed to know how far the stand could swing forward and backward so that I could calculate the length required to hold the bike up in the forward position, but not going so far that it would hit the mudguard in the raised position.



The pieces were cut to length, mitred to the cross piece and test fitted


And it was right!


It's not a complicated construction and again was copied from reference images


The threaded rod is back for some more brazing



And the final piece of the puzzle was somewhere to attach a spring to hold it up


Then a test!!


It still needs some nicer hardware but it's a massive improvement over the wooden blocks! 



So what's next?

I still have some issues with the carb over fuelling and not starting particularly easily so I'm on the lookout for the correct Gurtner M20D carb. Then it's on to wiring and after that I'll have to re-write my to-do list and start again!

P.S. There may be plans for taking part in The Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride this year.......

No comments:

Post a Comment