Wednesday 15 July 2015

Rear mudguard repair

The back section of the rear mudguard hinges open to allow you to remove the rear wheel, well that's what's meant to happen but the hinge was basically non existent when I got the bike. The rear section is a different colour so I'd always thought it wasn't original to the bike (although I had assumed it was the correct one) but on closer inspection the profile is completely different (look at the beading in these two pictures - top one is the main guard, bottom one is the removable section) and the 'new' bit is also a lot rustier on the inside. I don't think I'll find the correct one that easily so I'll work with what I've got.





The first thing to sort was the fact that the main bracket was hardly held on. It looks like it was originally spot welded so I clamped it back into place and put a nice big brass tack on each side.



After some reshaping of the profile of both sides and realigning the two sides of the bracket so they actually pointed at each other I grabbed some stainless stock and made a pin and sleeve on the lathe.



A bit more work with the hammer to create space for the knuckles on the moving section and everything was sitting where it should. A quick wave with the oxy and we have a lovely brass fillet holding the sleeve onto the moving section.



A little bit of fine adjustment with the hammer and a few file strokes to get it closing right and I think I've got a pretty good fit considering it's the wrong piece of mudguard. 



I see faces everywhere, this was no exception


And it even flips all the way up!


No comments:

Post a Comment